Monday, March 26, 2007

Reflected Glory

Last night as I was crawling into bed I noticed a spot of light on the mattress next to me. Twisting and turning, I saw that it was coming through my window. Was that…? I had to put on my glasses to make sure. Yes, it was in fact a full moon, shining down on me. I don’t think I’ve ever had a bedroom that got direct moonlight before, so I was definitely excited. So excited I pulled up my blinds to get more of it. Falling asleep in a pool of moonlight is quite an enjoyable experience. Last night and again this morning I was trying to put my finger on a word or phrase to describe it. (Romantic? No, not when you’re by yourself and living in a men’s house.) Was there no larger vision or lesson that could be drawn from lying in the moon’s glory?

This morning my roommate and I went to mass, where we celebrated the Solemnity of the Annunciation. The gospel antiphon came from St. John’s gospel: “And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory.” That nailed it for me. Last night’s lunar experience may have only been a reflection, but it was of that same glory.

1 Comments:

  • All phenomena have at least the potential to reflect the Mystery, and the glory of its Master. Of course, as with a physical mirror, the spectator (this word has a fascinating etymology, by the way) must look not at the thing itself, but what shows through it, and this is a gift. The anology extends in that some mirrors provide a better view than others, and certainly, Sister Moon, is one of these.

    By Blogger Paul, at 12:09 PM, March 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home